CAPS STUDENT ADVISORY BOARD MEETING MINUTES                                                                   2/16/2015

 

ATTENDEES: Marcey Bamba, Sherri Bird, Krista Burrows, James Gaither, Rachel Grisham, Catherine Huang, Sara McCracken, Mike McDougal, Virginia Tat, Josh Willmarth

 

  1. Updates
    1. SIFC Open Hearing: SIFC passed an increase in student fees of 5% to cover CAPS’ base budget, plus 3.9% increase to cover one counselor. Total increase: 8.9%  (increasing the CAPS portion of student fees from $35.23 to $38.37). SIFC requested that CAPS work closely with AABC to manage our working capital. Kudos to Rachel, Marcey, Josh, and all who were able to attend and support!
    2. Mandatory Fees: No new updates.

 

  1. ASOSU Joint Session

Tuesday, February 17th at 7 p.m. in the MU Lounge. At this meeting where ASOSU Senate and House meet together, SIFC will present individual budgets and if passed, new legislation will be written and passed to effect increases in fees. If all budgets are passed, this will reflect a 7.58% increase in Student Affairs budget overall.

 

  1. Future Meetings
    1. Looking towards next term, we will be working on recruitment and following the progress and structuring of the mandatory fee process. A Student Fees Advisory Committee is being formed, but the transition to the mandatory fee will probably not begin until spring term.
    2. A Doodle poll will be sent out to get feedback from board members about the best time to meet during spring term.

 

  1. Response from Marcey
    1. Appreciation for the hard work of the Advisory Board in the budget process.
    2. Update on renovation plans for Snell 5th floor.  Creating four fewer rooms will bring us closer to the $250,000 budget numbers that we need.
    3. Snell Hall may be getting a new roof.
    4. CAPS hired a temporary .49 FTE counselor (as a complement to one of our counselors who has reduced her hours).
    5. The Director Search closed today. The search committee will review the applications, schedule phone interviews and then on-site interviews.