If you are thinking about suicide, talk to someone NOW.

CAPS aims to prevent suicide through counseling, education, cross-campus collaboration, and providing resources.

Free suicide prevention workshops are available to everyone in the OSU community. Click here for the current year's schedule. These workshops can also be requested for classes, departments, and student organizations by contacting Bonnie Hemrick, Mental Health Promotions Specialist.

We are here to help! If you are thinking about suicide, please check out the resources below, and talk to someone right away.

Click here if you are concerned about a friend or loved one.

  • Counseling and Psychological Serivces (CAPS): 541-737-2131 (1-888-232-7192 24-hr toll-free)
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433); online chat available here
  • ULifeLine: 1-800-273-8255 or text "START" to 741-741
  • The Trevor Project (hotline for LGBTQ ages 13-24): 1-866-488-7386; texting available Thursdays & Fridays 1pm-5pm PST - text "Trevor" to 1-202-304-1200; online chat available every day 12pm-6pm PST
  • Veteran Affairs Suicide Prevention: Veterans, service members, and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and press 1, send a text message to 838255, or chat online. Available even for those not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care.
  • Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center Emergency Room (Corvallis): 541-768-5021
  • A friend or family member
  • Need tips on how to talk to someone you're concerned about? Visit Seize the Awkward.
  • If you or a friend are at immenent risk, call 541-737-7000 on campus or 911 off campus.
  • Even a five-minute delay in acting upon suicidal thoughts can change someone's mind, so keeping lethal means out of someone's hands for even a short time can help save their life!
    • If you or someone you know is considering suicide and have/has access to a firearm, a gun lock can be obtained at the campus Public Safety office on the 2nd floor of Cascade Hall or at CAPS after talking with a counselor. The lock renders the firearm unusable and the key should be kept by a trusted person (not by the person of concern). One can also call Oregon State Police and request that they come remove the firearm and place it in safe keeping (not with crime evidence). DO NOT bring the firearm to Public Safety or any law enforcement agency yourself. Call OSP for a pick-up - the non-emergency number for campus is 541-737-3010. In an emergency, call 541-737-7000 on campus or 911 if you are off campus.
    • Prescription drugs of concern can be placed in one of the two secure drug drop boxes on campus. One is available just outside the Public Safety office in Cascade Hall and the other is at Student Health Services.