If you feel like you are in crisis, please click here or call 541-737-2131

CAPS offers a variety of services, resources, and referrals to support your well-being and help you meet your goals. Short-term counseling, group counseling, and other therapy services are available to students enrolled at the Corvallis campus and Ecampus students residing in Oregon. Below you will find information about how to schedule/access each of our services.

If you decide to move forward with counseling, the OSU health services fee will be charged to your student account once your first session is scheduled (no fee is required for the initial consultation). This fee provides access to Student Health Services, in addition to CAPS. Click here to see the current OSU fee schedule.


If you are in crisis, help is available 24/7.

Our on-call clinic for urgent needs is open Monday-Friday 10AM-4PM (10AM-3PM during breaks & summer) for walk-ins and scheduled appointments. If you are in crisis, please call us at 541-737-2131 to schedule a visit. You may also come to our office during these hours, but without an appointment, you may need to wait until a counselor is available. Help is available whenever CAPS is closed, by calling 541-737-2131 and selecting option 1 from the after-hours phone menu. If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency department. In Corvallis, go to Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis (3600 NW Samaritan Dr).

You can also get help any time by:

Counseling and Psychological Services is partnering with MySSP (soon changing to Telus Health Student Support) to expand services to students. Through the Anytime Anywhere program, students now have access to free and confidential mental health and wellness counseling at any time of day, from anywhere in the world, 365 days a year.

Students can connect with counselors in real time by calling or using the chat function. Help is available in six languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Korean and Spanish. The app is ADA compliant and TTY accessible.

Students can request a counselor that matches their same identity by sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, language, and more. These requests are best handled through short-term scheduled appointments rather than in real time. The app also includes mental wellness articles, assessments, podcasts, and videos! This service is free to all students taking classes on the Corvallis and Cascades campuses, as well as through Ecampus.

Click here for information on how to get started!

The SSC is not appropriate for students who are in crisis, need ongoing counseling, or need assistance with Medical Reduced Course Load (MRCL) forms.The Single Session Clinic (SSC) is reserved for students enrolled in classes on the Corvallis campus (not Ecampus).

If you need to meet with a counselor for a one-time visit to discuss a current problem or concern, the SSC is for you. SSC counselors can work with you to problem-solve, help you develop skills and/or strategies to address your concern, and will provide a personalized action plan by the end of your visit. 

Click here for more details or to schedule your appointment

Please click here if you need an American Sign Language interpreter or a transcriber

A phone consultation is the first step to starting counseling at CAPS. Continue reading to find out how to schedule one. If you are in crisis or have an urgent need, please do NOT schedule a consultation. See the "Crisis Care & Emergencies" section above.

A consultation for short-term therapy is appropriate for you if:

  • You are NOT in crisis and seeking short-term therapy at CAPS.
  • You saw a counselor last year and want to resume short-term therapy at CAPS.
  • You had a consultation this term but did not establish care or get placed on the waitlist.
  • You aren't sure which CAPS service or resource is right for you.
  • You are seeking assistance with finding a counselor off-campus or outside Corvallis.

Do NOT schedule a consultation if:

  • You are in crisis or have a concern about another student that requires immediate attention. Instead, please see the "Crisis Care & Emergencies" section above. (make it an embedded hyperlink)
  • You are seeing a CAPS counselor this academic year. Please email your counselor directly to schedule an appointment.
  • You are an international student needing assistance with an MRCL. If you have seen a counselor (beyond a telephone consultation) at CAPS within the last 12 months, please email them to schedule an appointment.  If you are new to CAPS, call 541-737-2131 during business hours, or email caps@oregonstate.edu to schedule an appointment with a counselor who can assist with MRCLs. Please note that MRCLs take 2-3 business days to complete.

Please click here to schedule a phone consultation*

Please click here if you need an American Sign Language interpreter or a transcriber

College of Engineering Students:

Please click here to schedule a phone consultation*

If there are no available appointments that meet your needs, please either email the CoE Wellness Coordinator, Shannon.Frasca@oregonstate.edu, or return to this page to request a consultation through the main CAPS link.

College of Veterinary Medicine Students:

Please click here to schedule a phone consultation*






*The online scheduling form is accessible weekdays between 5:00am-7:00pm

Please note: Because each state has its own licensing boards and teletherapy regulations, we can only provide services to students located in Oregon.

If you're struggling, connecting with others who share similar experiences can help. Unlike individual therapy, groups offer exposure to a diverse set of coping strategies, as well as peer connection, helping you feel less alone. Click here to see our current group offerings. Each group description includes information on how to join. 

If you are being harmed by someone who has access to your devices, please be sure to clear your browser history and consider using a public computer, like one at the library, if possible.

Click here to leave site now

If you have experienced unwanted sexual contact, stalking, and/or intimate partner violence and are seeking counseling/urgent support, please contact CAPS at 541-737-2131 or the Center for Advocacy, Prevention & Education at 541-737-2030 or survivoradvocacy@oregonstate.edu.

Click here for more information about IVS

Click here for more information about CAPE

For immediate help after hours, or if you have an urgent safety concern, contact the Center Against Rape and Domestic Violence (CARDV) 24-hour hotline at 541-754-0110. If you are being harmed by someone who has access to your computer, tablet, and/or phone, please consider using a more secure computer such as one at the library. If this is not possible, be sure to clear your browser history.

The Mind Spa at CAPS is a private sanctuary available to everyone in the OSU community at no charge. Book an appointment and relax in the full-body massage chair, use the meditation corner, try our guided relaxation and biofeedback software, or sit by the therapy light on a rainy day. Click here for more details and to schedule an appointment.

We also offer drop-in mindfulness meditation groups, and a digital mindfulness newsletter with a weekly care package of mindfulness tips, resources and events! Click here for more information.

We partner with ThrivingCampus to help make it easier for students needing long-term or weekly care to find off-campus providers. On ThrivingCampus, you may browse therapists in the local area or statewide, filter results based on your needs and preferences, get answers to common questions, and reach out directly to providers.

If you are a student, faculty/staff member, or anyone worried about an OSU student, you can consult with a counselor for guidance. Please call CAPS at 541-737-2131 or request a consultation time online by clicking here.

If your concern is urgent, please call instead of using the online consultation request. Assistance is available 24/7. If you believe a student is in imminent danger of harming themselves or others, please call 911.

Click here for guidance if you are not sure which service is most appropriate for you.